Godard 21's Cinephile journal

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

December picks for my fall preview.

Because I am rushing to cover the Venice film festival, I will merely list my picks and will later update the posts concerning the november and december releases.

Well, here are my picks.

December 1st.

Bug, directed by William Friedkin (The Exorcist, the French Connection). I can barely defend this choice, but, out of most horror films coming out, at least, this one has an interesting premise and this horror/ thriller is directed by William Friedkin who has yet to make a comeback, but is due. For a synopsis and a trailer, merely look back to one of my past posts. In the end, I may give it a shot.

December 8th

The Good German, directed by Steven Soderbergh and starring George Clooney and the always great Cate Blanchett. Anything with Cate Blanchett should be seen, out of principle. In addition, it's been awhile seen Soderbergh has moved past the Ocean Eleven phase (he is making a third last one though) and Bubble boy, despite its unique conception and distribution, did not interest me. This film, however, does. In the film, an American journalist goes to post-war Berlin to find his former mistress only to become immersed into a murder mystery involving a missing husband and a soldier's dead body.

Breaking and Entering, directed by Anthony Minghella (The English Patient, The Talented Mr. Ripley, Cold Mountain) and starring Jude Law. I don't necessarily like this director, although I am one of the few individuals who defends The English Patient to a certain extent. I still don't think it deserved Best Picture or that it is such a great film, but it is still a "good" and competent film regardless of what others say. This film revolves around a landscape architect who begins to reevaluate his life after an encounter with a young thief. There has been some positive hype for this film and it could be another Oscar hopeful, so the film could turn out to be a competent film. Although, I have doubts with most films starring Jude Law, even though I do not dislike him as an actor in everything.

December 15

The Blood Diamond, directed by Edward Zwick (Glory, The Last Samurai) and starring Leonardo Dicaprio, Djimon Hounsou, and Jennifer Connelly. Although I didn't like Zwick's last project The Last Samurai, he has an interesting cast tied to this one. When I say "interestin cast," I am not referring to Dicaprio, but more Connelly(A Beautiful Mind, Requiem for A Dream) and Hounsou (In America). Within the film, the paths of a mercenary (Dicaprio0, a fisherman (Hounsou), and an American journalist (Connely) connect as they hunt a priceless diamond in the Sierra Leone of the 1990s. It could be an interesting film to watch.

December 22nd.

The Painted Veil, directed by John Curran and starring Naomi Watts, Edward Norton, and Liev Schreiber.

Notes on a Scandal, directed by Richard Eyre and starring Cate Blanchett( a busy and interesting year for Blanchett, it seems) and Judi Dench. This is possibly another Oscar contender depending on the performances. Based on a screenplay by Playwright Patrick Marber (Closer).

December 29th

Pan's Labyrinth, directed by Guillermo del Toro. Can't wait to see this fantasy film. Find the Trailer and watch it.

Perfume, directed by Tom Tykwer (Run Lola Run). Kubrick once said the novel which this film is based on was impossible to adapt. I guess we'll have to see.

Children of Men- directed by Alfonso Cuaron(Y tu Mama Tambien, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban) and starring Julianne Moore, Clive Owen, Michael Caine, and Chiwetel Ejiofor (love this actor). I have doubts about this science fiction film, mainly because it is based on a PD James novel, but the interesting cast and the director, whom I like, may lure me to the theatres.

Although they do not officially have a release date yet, here are some more films to look out for when they are released either on DVD or in theatres (or through more illegal means).

Half Nelson-Ryan Fleck. (just released awhile ago, but may expand due to positive box office numbers)

The Wind that Shakes the Barley, by Ken Loach and starring Cillian Murphy.

The Host- a strange Korean monster movie.

Time and The Bow by director Kim ki-duk. The Bow will eventually be released on DVD and Time will premiere at one of the recent festivals.

David Lynch's Inland Empire.

Paprika by Japanese animation director Satoshi Kon.

Idiocracy-Mike Judge.

Goya's ghosts-Milos Forman (whenever it comes out)

Letters from Iwo Jima (previously known as Red Sun, Black Sand) - Clint Eastwood

Sweeney Todd- Tim Burton- a Burton musical!!! I'm sold. It isn't even in production yet, but I am already impatient.

If I think of others and I know I will, I will add them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home