Godard 21's Cinephile journal

Sunday, August 06, 2006

News, more trailers of films to watch out for

My grandfather just had an operation, so I will not be able to post the lengthy topics I had planned for now. In order to compensate, here is some news, an assessment of the weekend's films, and some more trailers of interest.

For those interested, the Hellboy sequel has finally been attached to a new studio, Universal and will be undergoing production soon. Honestly, I wasn't much of a fan of the Hellboy film and I am definitely not a fan of most sequels. Although, I am a fan of the graphic novel (which a friend once lent to me) and series with its occasional emphasis on Gothic elements, myth, and folklore.

Sadly, some studio executives have greenlit a sequel to National Treasure. I have officially lost faith in humanity.

Critical assessment of this weekend's openings.

The Descent

According to its incredibly positive critical reception, this may be one of the best horror films to come out in a while or, actually, the only good horror film to come out. Given that horror films seem to be cursed in the critical world, the positive reviews that this film has been showered with are very surprising, in fact, quite puzzling giving the genre's poor history with the critics.
So, there must be something unique about this British horror film to avoid the horror film curse which is why you should go see it.

Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby

Oddly, this Ferrell comedy is also getting positive reviews which is a surprising feat for anything containing Will Ferrell. Like Anchorman (who also directed this film), the film probably contains a similar comic style. so, if you liked Anchorman, you will most likely enjoy this film. As for me, I've already tired of Will Ferrell's antics, so I will skip it.

Both the Night Listener with Robin Williams and Barnyar are not faring very well critically. Actually, the films are supposedly the equivalent of cinematic garbage, so avoid at all costs.

The film QuinceaƱera (despite its spanish title, it is an English film) is doing quite well with critics, although viewer reactions are not as positive. However, due to its limited release, I doubt it will ever make here.

Now, for more trailers of films to anticipate and frustrate you because you will never see them till they come out on DVD in two years' time.

Here is a trailer of All the King's Men with Sean Penn in which Penn seems to be overacting in every scene. Although, I will reserve my judgment till I see it.
http://www.hollywood.com/movies/video/id/3493579

Here is a trailer for Ken Loach's "The Wind that Shakes the Barley," (which contains Cillian Murphy who has been praised for his performance in this film). This is the film that took the Palme D'or at this year's Cannes film festival. I can't wait to see this film.

http://www.allocine.co.uk/film/video_gen_cfilm=110201.html (click on the high definition trailer link)

This is the trailer to Terry Gilliam's newest film Tideland (it should be finished and this is an old trailer) which will hopefully allow him to redeem himself for the Brothers Grimm. I don't even know what to make of this strange trailer, but it still looks better than Grimm. I only wish Gilliam could actually finish "The Man who Killed Don Quixote" at one point in the future.
http://www.apple.com/jp/quicktime/trailers/tfc/rosein/

Although I have no trailer, I would also like spotlight the next film of Danny Boyle (Trainspotting, 28 days later, millions), Sunshine, which is a science fiction film opening in October (I think) and starring Cillian Murphy. Here is the official website with some making of videos. It's the best I can do. http://www.sunshinedna.com/videos/8

Update
Interesting films coming this tuesday: Brick (a film which I will rent post-haste), The Hidden Blade (I want to see this film NOW!!), Don't Come knocking, and The Inside Man (one of Spike Lee's better films), Manderlay (by Lars Von Trier), and Cavite.

Next post: I will give my opinions about my recent exposure to dogma 95 films.

1 Comments:

Blogger (J) said...

I am excited to see the Descent. I have high hopes. :-)

2:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home